Happy New Year, friends! Welcome to 2018. The future is now. In preparation for the new year, I wanted to talk about my intentions for 2018. So, you’re probably wondering why I’m not sharing resolutions. Well, I’m glad you asked. A resolution, according to the dictionary is, “a firm decision to do or not to do something” while an intention is, “a thing intended; an aim or plan". I don’t know about you but I don’t want to end another year disappointed for not having resolved my resolutions, doing things I hate, to make myself ‘better’ according to someone else’s standards. I also don’t know who I’ll be in the next year let alone next month. Instead, I want to live with intention, giving myself the flexibility to change and adapt my aims and plans as I grow as a person and determine what is realistic for me in that moment.
I encourage you to live beyond the idea of resolve and instead live every day intentionally. Keep reading to learn how I plan to live more intentionally below and let me know if I can help or encourage you in any way. Let’s do this!
1. Move More
- Get strong. As I talked about in an earlier post, I’m really beginning to embrace and love my body in its current form. However, I admittedly don’t move my body as much as I should, so I plan to be more intentional about finding ways to make that happen. Plus, taking down the patriarchy is a marathon and not a race, so I need both my mind and body to be strong.
- Sign-up for ClassPass and move when and where I want. I don’t like working out but I love trying new things. So, from circus school to pole dancing, to salsa dancing and boxing, and everything in between, I’m coming for ya!
- Walk when possible and it’s always almost possible. For me, this means being more intentional about taking fewer Ubers and walking when the distance and time permits.
2. Make Money Moves
- Minimize my debt. Yes, I’m still paying off my student loans too. Just like my mind and body, I want to be financially fit. My intention is to make my money work for me so that I can work less. Work to live and not live to work, friends.
- Max out my 401K matching (I recognize this is a privilege but when and if possible, do so).
- Monitor my money with Mint. Knowledge is power, friends. Know where your money is going to make more mindful decisions.
3. Maintain Minimal
- Make more of less. If you know me, you know that I follow the minimalist movement quite actively. I want to continue to be intentional about owning less and living more.
- Minimal makeup. I LOVE makeup and I’m the first person to side-eye someone when I see someone being told they should wear less makeup. However, I’ve been learning more about skincare and I’m going to be more intentional about spending time and money prioritizing skincare over makeup as for me personally, it’s the best long-term investment I can make in myself.
- Minimal harm. As both a vegetarian and a someone who cares about the environment, I’m going to be more intentional this year about purchasing less plastic and goods with packaging, more cruelty-free and vegan products, and more eco-friendly and sustainable clothing.
4. Make More
- Make music. For those of you who don’t know, I played several instruments, including the violin, growing up. I’m going to be more intentional about finding more ways to flex my musical muscles in the upcoming year.
- Write and publish more quality content on the blog. One of my favorite parts of starting my blog has been having the space to write creatively. I spend most of my time writing up technical specs, so it’s a welcomed change of pace.
- Make meals. I’m a vegetarian but I’m also a very picky eater. So, I admittedly eat some of the same foods over and over each week. Armed with the Kitchen Aid I recently purchased for myself for Christmas, I want to be more intentional about making more meals at home and trying new things.
5. Mind My Mind
- Sleep more. In order to bring my best self to everything I do, I’m going to be more intentional about getting enough or at least more sleep.
- Meditate and pray more. I’ve found that I’m happiest when I give myself the space to be reflective and mindful. I’m going to be more intentional this year about giving myself more opportunities to connect with myself and my maker.
- Make my mental health a prioritization. Mental health matters and I’m going to be more intentional about checking in with myself and seeking help when I need it.
6. Mix It Up
- Try new things. Growing up, I loved improv. As an adult, the thought of taking a class scares me and that’s good. I need to live less comfortably so I can grow and learn more about myself.
- Meet new people and make new friends. As they say, some people come into your life for a reason or a season. I’ve grown so much because of the people I’ve met, had the opportunity to collaborate with, and the people who I now consider friends. So if you’re reading this and we haven’t yet met or had the opportunity to develop our relationship, hit me up and let’s grab a coffee. I’d love to meet you!
- Try new styles. Starting my blog has really given me the courage to be less comfortable. This year I’m going to be more intentional about trying on things that aren’t necessarily my style because even if I don’t like something, this practice will help me continue to discover and curate my style and my closet.
7. Make Moves
- Grow professionally. I want to continue to intentionally seek out any and all opportunities to develop in my career so that the products I help ship better serve the people who use them.
- Travel more. There are so many places I have yet to see and people to meet. I want to be intentional about prioritizing experiences and travel over things.
- Continue to collaborate and connect. As I grow my blog, I want to be intentional about the brands I collaborate with and to continue to find more ways to share and connect with all you, my readers.
8. Maximize moments
- Make more meaningful moments. I want to start being more intentional about making every moment and interaction I share with someone else matter. I want to start asking the hard questions and sharing more in the hopes of learning more about myself and others around me.
- Capture more moments. If you know me, you know that I love photography. From my mobile phone to my camera, I’ve always been the friend in the group that captured memories made. This past year, I officially re-launched Brand New Vous and was hired by my first client! This year, I want to be more intentional about honing my craft and capturing more memories.
- Go offline more. As someone who works in Tech, it’s admittedly difficult at times to disconnect. This year, I’m going to be more intentional about putting down my phone and connecting with people.
Hopefully, my list gave you a few ideas to help jumpstart your intention planning. Remember that intentions are aims and not resolutions and that they should be flexible and adapt to you and your lifestyle. The great benefit of living a more mindful and intentional life is that you can’t really mess up. All you can do is try and if something doesn’t work, try something else. I’d love to hear your intentions for the new year, so share them with me in the comments below!
Photo credit: Chrissy Corrado